I’ve compiled a list of search engines that will change the way search engines work. I’ve only listed general-purpose sites, not niche or vertical search engines focusing in a specific type of information. I’m not really claiming these services will replace Google as the number one search engine any time soon, but they will at least have an effect on the way Google and the other large search engines will develop their core function.
List of the search engines of the future:
- Mahalo is “the world’s first human-powered search engine”. Another one is ChaCha.
- Quintura is a visual search Engine.
- Powerset will offer natural language search. True Knowledge is a similar service, but they are not indexing the web.
- Clusty is “the clustering search engine”.
- Cuill claim that their indexing costs are 1/10th of Google’s
By combining the best of these sites, we would get the ultimate tool for accessing all the information online. I bet Google’s engineers are hard at work developing these features.